When I got off the plane, I felt free. I was fascinated by this new place. Maybe it was because I was alone; maybe it was because I chose to leave everything behind and make this my new home; I wanted to stay. However, there was nothing left for me back home, with the exception of my friends that stood by me and accepted me for who I really am. I'm finally here. I'm finally in the USA.
They called me a genius. They called me talented. They never saw the hours of work I put in; the lonely nights alone with the books; the failures that I hid from them. All they saw was what they wanted to see. Despite feeling neglected, used and mistrusted I could never really bring myself to hate my family. But that doesn't mean that I have to live with them. I had learned a long time ago that the world has no rules except those that you chose to live by. I chose to live by my own rules; one of them states that its okay for me to leave my family behind. It was time for me to live my won life. A life free from their strings.
I came to this quite little town in Alfred, New York. The view there was nice. So were the people. I could see this as a place to grow and leave my roots. I could build upon myself and make a life here, starting with this college. I had a feeling that the time I will spend here will be one of those moments that will be hard to forget.
I was willing to work hard to earn my freedom. I wanted my own life. That was what I am fighting for. That was what I will reward myself with, because I deserved no less.
No comments:
Post a Comment